If you are the average woman, knowing all the ins and outs of fashion is not something you have time to learn and research. With our busy lives, we just buy what we think will look nice and is affordable. However, there are some simple rules you can follow to keep yourself “In Fashion”, so to speak. These rules are:
1. Don’t try to update your whole wardrobe at once! It’s always best to try out “a look” or “new fashion” before buying out the store. You may find that they look is great for you and then you can add more pieces when you can. Sometimes you will find the look is all wrong for you, so adding only a few pieces won’t break your bank account.
2. You should never buy something you feel you are ‘too old’ to wear! If you do buy it, you probably won’t wear it because you won’t feel comfortable in it.
3. You shouldn’t be scared to dress outside of your normal age group! When you are 55, that doesn’t automatically take mini skirts out of your wardrobe. Just because you are 22, that doesn’t mean you have to wear mini skirts, either. Go with the fashion and style you look good in and feel comfortable wearing.
4. Black clothes almost always look more flattering, expensive and sophisticated! Having some black “staple” clothing is always a good fashion idea.
5. When you don’t have money, don’t go shopping! Buying cheap clothing just because you went shopping is usually a bad investment. It won’t be what you really wanted and you probably won’t wear that fashion of clothing much.
6. Don’t shop based on fashion fads! When you’ve heard about a particular fashion fad, it will probably be over! Fad fashion never has a long lifespan, so stick with the general fashion trends.
7. Step outside your “fashion box” for a while! If you are normally conservative, try a miniskirt or some low cut jeans for a change. Not comfortable with that…just add a fringed or sequins handbag to your collection. Everyone, no matter their fashion sense, should have fun with the fashions they wear on occasion. Even though you will normally go back to your old look, you will probably have a new approach to it.
8. Don’t let fashion jeopardize your professional image! See-through, low neckline, sleazy fashions will never do wonders for your career. Those fashions are simply inappropriate for the 9 to 5 world.
9. Fashion is only a small part of the whole “you”! If you put a lot of time and effort into other aspects of your life, what you wear won’t be what everyone notices about you. Don’t spend all your time worrying about your wardrobe fashion.
10. When you look at fashion, it is all about YOU! Love a look…look great in it…can afford the clothing…then buy it! Fashion is just that simple!